Monday, January 31, 2011

Recreation #2 Portrait



The Boss photograph by Prentice Hall Polk, 1933

Prentice Hall Polk was born in 1898 in Alabama. His family society status was working class and when he was eleven, his father died. When he was thirteen, he attended to boarding school in Alabama and after secondary education, he enrolled  Tuskegee Normal and Technical School. While he was attending Tuskegee Normal and Technical School, he wanted to learn painting but his school didn't provide fine art classes. However, he met C. M. Battey, the photography instructor, he spent his three years under C.M. Battey instructor. After three years, he dropped out school and moved to Chickasaw, Alabama. He married with married Margaret Blanche Thompson and he moved to Chicago with his wife in 1920s.
He came back to Tuskegee with his wife in 1927. He became a photography instructor at Tuskegee Institute. In 1938, he moved to Atlanta, Georgia and he opened his own portrait studio however, he ran the studio only one year. After a year, he came back to Tuskegee and became official photographer of Tuskegee Institute. He spent his forty-five years in that institute.

The reason why I choose Prentice's photo is because, through her motion, face and her clothes, I was thought about many different things for my re-creation.

Here is my re-creation


My recreation theme is a child. Even though I didn't use real child face as my model, I wanted to express nervous and frighten emotion by using light and my face. When I saw my original photo, I felt that the woman looks very strong and scary. Since she is wearing some kind of apron in that photo, it reminded me the director of orphanage. Not just normal head director of orphanage but to children, she seems very scary and straight. I capture my face with frightening emotion. Even though I used tripot for make it look clear and sharp, accidentally I got this out of focus shot. I think the out of focus convey the idea of frighten better than my other focus shot. I set my light down right side of my body and I think it worked well to express some pureness of child and at the same time the scare feeling. It can be better recreation when I use a child along with my concept, however, I satisfy the result of my second recreation project.







No comments:

Post a Comment