Saturday, January 22, 2011

Blog Prompt #4

“If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.” ~Lewis Hine.



Write a brief reaction to this quote. Is this quote applicable to your experience with photography? What does it mean to you? Do you agree with the idea presented or disagree? Describe situations when photographic images reveal “the story” (as compared to words). Describe situations when words reveal “the story” (as compared to images).

     I personally agree with what he said. Sometimes, I feel like one picture can involves more stories than any other essays or books. I have seen his photography before and also his following comments. The title of that photo was ‘Child Cotton Picker.’ Only one photo told me the details of the child life and even it let me think about that child’s situation. From his comment, I found the definition of reason why that child holding a sack with some cotton and everything. Using the words, it already defined and didn’t give the chances of thinking about the other way. Sometimes, people talks about television or movie or even photo mediums decrease people’s imagination ability. It can be true but I think photo based medium didn't define as clear as words or stories, so that gives viewers to think about photo based medium in various way. 

Child Cotton Picker photography by Lewis Hine

No comments:

Post a Comment