Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Recreation






    This is my original image, German Metal Worker, photograph by Helmar Lerski on1930.
Helmar Lerski was the photographer who focus on portrait and the technique of of photography with mirror. Also, he concentrated on the close up portrait shot and tight cropping shot during his photograph career. 
He was originally born in Strasbourg and then his family moved to Zurich, Switzerland on 1876.
In 1888, he emigrated to the United States and he worked there as an actor in Chicago several years. He wasn't start his photography career until 1915. He started photography when he moved back to Europe. He was not only work as photographer but also cameraman and film director. 
In 1932 he emigrated to Palestine with his second wife and he still concentrated on photography and also film directing. After his career, he went back to Zurich, where he spent rest of his life. 

    During his career in Palestine, he concentrated more in light towards people's face at various angle. I think using the technique of light in photography attract viewers more and because of light and shade, gives 3-Dimensional perspective. This one metal worker's close-up portrait shows not only his close-up face but through his face, I can understand the difficulties on that time or his own distress.


Recreation

    Using the idea of light and shade, close-up shot, cropping technique, I want to create the next scene of this image for my recreation. I was thinking about two different perspective to create my net scene. First one was about 'hope'. Using the candle or other bright subjects, I wanted to express encouragement, hope or other positive feeling that cheer him up. 
I also thought about more passive and hopeless perspective. Using coin on the ground, I want to show his mind sight(or can be actual sight). 


Here is my Recreation image 





   The reason I choose more passive way of expression is because I wanted to show the difficulties in that time. I personally think that coin and ground can express the life of working class people. The coins that covered by dirt gives the meaning of difficulties of earn money on that time and the ground gives the meaning of their life status during that time. Since he is looking down in this picture, I wanted to show what his looking at. On the ground he saw his life.


( I made one more... just for fun)



No comments:

Post a Comment